Thursday, April 14, 2011

Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO, oh my....

I feel like my 30 day challenge has taken over my life and blog, so today, I am changing the subject.  No sweat or stretching today.  :)

Today is all about my adventures in photography or misadventures......
I had been drooling over a Nikon DSLR camera for about a year, when I decided to get serious and start saving for it, and then for Christmas, I got some Christmas cash, which is always the best, and finally had the full amount for the camera.  WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

My education in what I did not know began, and let me tell you it was a lot.  Aperture, and its correct spelling, has been the one I wanted to get down the fastest,  because I love the effects you can achieve with it.  A quick lesson:  aperture deals with depth of field..  If you're like me, I went "huh?" and was even more confused, so let me explain it this way.... Do you want to focus on one item and let the rest of the frame be blurry or do you want, like a panoramic shot, everything in focus?  That's aperture... Everything in complete crisp focus ranging to one specific thing clear and the rest blurry.  Whew. It took me forever to grasp that, especially the way it's set up on cameras.

Shutter speed and ISO (or film speed, when there was actually film) came much easier to me, not always used correctly when taking photographs, but I at least I knew how to correct them.

I've been taking classes, reading books and oh yeah, taking a photograph a day.  I'm doing a 365 project for photography, and while most days I am conscious of the photo I take, every once in a while,  I have a "It's 10pm and I haven't taken a photo today moment...."  The results have been fun, and I thought I would share with you my favorites to date.


                                             The inside of one of my red tulips in bloom....
               My Basset Hounds, Humphrey (r.) and Bacall (l.) attempting to share a stick.

     My cat, Meeko, looking regal in the back yard.  Quick, name the movie, her name came from.
One of my late night, oops I haven't taken a photo today, photos.  It's a picture of my calendar.  Sierra Club does the most amazing calendar, if you're looking for nature photos.


There will be more to come on my photography adventures and questions for you.... are you a Straight out of the Camera fan or are you obsessed with Photoshop?  Think about it and let me know....

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Bit....

I knew it was coming, for a while now, but when it finally happened it still hurt. Miss Bacall, tail wagging joyful basset hound superst...